This is about how to update BMW NBT map to 2017.01 version, at a low cost (within $20), using an BMW ENET cable bmw and E-sys v3.26.1. Here, i would like to update NBT maps for the BMW F22.
After doing a bit of research on the bmw forums, there is a ton of good information already out there.
Materials required for process:
#1 You need 20xx-xx *Insert_Country_Here* NEXT Maps (you confirm this from iDrive that your car is indeed running that region, and the map type is NEXT). Different head units use different maps, and they are not cross-compatible, PREMIUM, MOVE, NEXT, etc..
- You will also want at-least a 32Gb flash drive to hold the update files formatted as FAT32. It is essentially three Dual-Layer DVD’s worth of Data. You can use three 8Gb drives, but I’ve read some people running into problems with specific brands that format below the minimum.
- You need an FSC Activation Code. This is gone about two ways, either you pay someone with BMW Internal Portal access to your VIN’s 1B/DE File, and they can generate it. Or you have a proper ENET cable, and E-SYS and you can retrieve the 1B/DE File, and generate it use the available tools. There is another set of tools called FSC Generator/SWID Reader, but they are only compatible with 32-bit Windows. FSC.exe is not equal to NBT.exe !! NBT is for NEXT, FSC is for old versions.
the NBT.exe file for the process
NITROFLARE – INTERCHANGEABLE LINKS (6 MB)
- You need an ENET cable, I had one so I chose to try the E-SYS Route.
Don’t pay more than $20 for one, Make sure he is a good seller with 99%+ feedback and over 1000 positive feedback ratings
- You need a working version of E-SYS, connect to your car as normal.
E-sys 3.26.1 (new)
E-sys 3.23.4 (100% working)
How to get FSC codes with E-sys software:
- Open E-Sys and select “Expert Mode” on Left Side
- Now go to FSC Extended mode. “FSC Extended”
- Enter Diagnostic Address 0x63
- Click Identify
- The Base variant should show “HU_NBT”
- Enter Application ID 0xDE (for NBT)
- Enter Upgrade Index 0x1
- Click on Store FSC in the list, and move it to the right by clicking the -> button
- Click Read
- Click Save and store the file as DE.fsc
- Open up a command prompt window and execute as follows
11a. 2016-1 nbt.exe DE.fsc 0xA8 0x08 <7DIGITVIN>
11b. 2016-2 nbt.exe DE.fsc 0xA8 0x27 <7DIGITVIN>
11c. 2017-1 nbt.exe DE.fsc 0xA8 0x28 <7DIGITVIN>
(A new revelation on this command, you can exclude the 7 Digit VIN option and still produce the same resulting FSC code) Cool trick!
This will output your FSC Activation Code for the upgrade!
Keep in mind this FSC Activation Code is only good with this Region/Year set of Navigation Updates. You will need a new one every time you perform a new update.
The update process is very straight forward and simple:
- Copy the files onto your 32Gb USB Drive
- Turn car on and Insert USB Drive into USB port under your arm rest
- Car should recognize the USB Drive and notice it’s a nav update
- Once you decide to continue it will ask to enter the FSC code, use your iDrive controller to enter this long ass code
You may get it wrong first.
But try again and write it down clearly
- Reap the benefits of an updated navigation system on your BMW. IE. Not getting lost as much, or routed in circles on unknown areas
Also you can always check the status in iDrive by Navigation, and click Options (bottom/right on idrive)