Which is better Mercedes Benz MB Star diagnostic device? VXDIAG, MB SD C4 or OpenPort2 VCI?
The disadvantage of the connector is it falls of with constant use. We recommend openport with a gold connector.
There is a tutorial on how to solder it so that it is more stable. It is quite suitable for diagnostic, but risky for update modules for firmware.
It has small volume RAM, when coding some serious new module there maybe 51 encoding are written incorrectly. Because there is not enough operational memory in the original device (only 512 megabytes.). What also you can say about it old vers. Openport cannot read well until 2005. We don’t recommend on old car at all.
There is no sense to connect modules ME28 E20 just does not see as well as SBC. Cars since 2005 are read without problems, all modules of W164, W221, does everything reads.
More about internet wanted to say guys are not afraid here is no internet all this is speculation.
- Good reasonably priced option if you don’t need to do any module updates.
- Openport 2.0 is not limited on Can- Cars from 2006 and above!
- useful for ECUs with CAN capability.
- For normal troubleshooting and diagnosis, though, it rocks.
- you won’t be able to access K-Line ECU’s that are widely used in old K-line models
- if you want to work with vediamo you can’t use vediamo 5 (4 can’t use smrd files) because vediamo 5 doesn’t support Passthru so your “stuck” with DTS Monaco
- You’d better replace R1 by 47k for better operation and to avoid overheating.
- You are risking of getting failed and then potentially bricking your ecu if need to do ECU SW updates.
Next we will take about vxdiag- a beautiful device well. We consider it the most versatile device for your money.
The truth has risen in price due to the increase cost.
When use this device, put in obd connector, connect the machine, computer and USB, and only then turn on the ignition in reverse order exactly the same turn off the ignition.
Pull out from the computer, remove the usb connector. VXDIAG reads W223 well, read W213 pretty well.
The problematic pattern new xentry need to be latest drivers.
- compatible with both Passthru (as j2534 passthru device) and XDOS openshell (as C6 VCI)
- The license, firmware can be updated in driver app, it is a lifetime license and its working with the new software
- VCX SE is more stable than Tactrix openport clone but it is acting the same way J2534 protocol.
- The main reason for buying vxdiag is that it has DoIP for new cars.
- vcx se connects via WiFi and it’s very convenient. wlan connection is stable at a distance of up to 2 m.
- there is already a Type C connector and it is held very tightly
- firmware updatable
- you can also use BMW and there are a lot of all sorts of programs that it supports
- as much as modules can be scanned
- Work best offline.
- It does not support older models with K-line protocol, it is for 2005 up Mercedes.
- Vediamo 5 needs special setting
- Have to update vci firmware and C6 driver when new versions come out
- not very good on Mercedes trucks
Next device is C4. C4 also works well for older cars ME28 ME20. It is irreplaceable thing because it works great on cars before 2005.
But sometimes the new models does nto read very well, often does not seel all modules especially w223.
but this is enough for full car service and diagnostic function. It works great with DTS Monaco program which is wonderful works with sbf files with MRI.
- works vehicle both new and old
- The newer c4 muxes all typically have wifi.
- The mux itself has a DHCP server inside and leases an IP address to the laptop.
- You don’t have to install batteries for firmware update.
- New cooler for long operation
- multiplexer and connector quality varies, some good, some poor