According to obdii365.com engineer experience and customers feedback, there are 3 main differences between Chinese GM TECH2 and GM MDI, reading details as follows.
1) Vehicle year coverage: Chinese GM TECH2 is mainly compatible with the GM vehicles before 2009 year; GM MDI mainly covers GM vehicles after 2009 year.
2) Difference in function: GM tech 2 is a professional GM diagnostic tool; GM MDI support programming online, support Opel offline programming function, Note: if you want to program by using GM MDI, you need to buy account at GM MDI official site at https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome
3) GM tech 2 is handheld GM scanner, no need to work with computer; GM MDI works with a Laptop, communicate via wired or wireless network.
You may need to know more unique features about GM MDI and GM TECH 2 with TIS2000
GM MDI Features:
1. All Chip are new and original
2. With opel Global tis global diagnostic system
3. Support offline lease function
4. Support programming online
5. Support cable communication
6. Support wireless communication, device have internal wifi card inside.
7. Support Opel offline programming function
8. With GDS2 diagnostic system
9. Tech2win diagnostic software support adding latest software
10. Support original factory latest software
11. With European Chevetl Global tis, Supports European Chevetl offline programming
General Motors Global Electrical Architecture (Global A) and Global Diagnostic Hardware &Software
Global Diagnostic System DGS& Mutiple diagnostic Interface MDI.
Fetures of the GM Tech 2
The Tech 2 remains an essential tool through at least the 2010 model year. The GM MDI will not support past models when its diagnostic capabilities are introduced. And, the Tech2 will continue to be needed to diagnose all vehicles from previous model years. Remote programming with the Tech 2 will continue to be supported for use on all 2007 by using TIS 2000 and previous vehicles. Additional information will be supplied in future.